Monday, January 4, 2010

The" Dolphin 'smile' is one of nature's biggest deceptions."



I don't know really were to start. I've never really considered my-self as being an activist and I still wouldn't consider me to be even after today. But what I do know is that I am, forever, a changed person after what I have just watched.

The other day I purchased a documentary from itunes called The Cove. It intrigued me because a while back I remembered watching something on the news with an actress Hayden Panettiere who tried to stop dolphin killings in Japan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0YCD3Zcuw8

So when I saw The Cove on itunes and saw that it was all about these dolphin killings I wanted to see it and learn more about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYKNCN1ESZM

What I liked about this documentary is that they approached exposing this issue legally and logically by exposing the that the killings of dolphins are not necessary. Dolphin meet is toxic. It has the highest levels of mercury than any other animal. So high that the Japanese do not even eat it but these fisherman blend it in with whale meat hide it. They make only about $6 off each dolphin if they use it for meat.

This is so profound to me because, I would probably be one of those people that would turn a blind eye to them killing dolphins if it was because they use and eat dolphin meat and the "fishing" of dolphins was their livelihood. It changes things when there is no reason at all.

The footage they get is horrific! I mean I was an absolute mess watching it! I almost compare it to, if we had, actual footage of people being massacred in the Holocaust. Massacre, that's the best way I could describe it! I really really really suggest everyone watch it and decide for yourself what you think and how you feel about it.

I have always loved Dolphins. At my grandparents beach house in Mexico every evening (it never fails) you can see Dolphins swimming out in the horizon. I just remember wanting so terribly wanting to jump in the ocean and swim out to them! And ever sence I can remember I have wanted to swim with a dolphin. You know, I wanted to have one of those "Dolphin experiances" in some park. But after watching The Cove it was life changing. I realized that unless I was willing to learn how to scuba or free dive and go out to the ocean to swim with them I don't get to have that experiance. I will not and cannot participate, condone or even enjoy a dolphin in captivity. Yes even Sea World.

Please don't get me wrong. I enjoy the Zoo as much as the next person and I am all for educating and doing what is possible to encourage conservation of the earth and all that live in and on it. But "The Dolphin Experience" and people paying for that experiance it is one of the reasons some of the killings of dolphins continue.

Again I think that everyone should watch it and decide for yourself.

But if you want to be like me know that you can't really make a difference but want to do something go to these sites.

www.takepart.com/thecove

www.savethewhales.org

2 comments:

brandon and jakell said...

there is a documentary in the Redbox about it right now..very interesting!

Thanks for the comment on my blog! you should come see my new giveaway one and enter to win some fun stuff for you or Scotts sister etc :)

http://smileadaygiveaways.blogspot.com

brandon and jakell said...

duh..sure thats the same one LOL okay not all here...never mind LOL